Saturday, August 25, 2012

SMASHED POTATO SALAD

SMASHED POTATO SALAD.

I had some friends over and as usual I was talking about food. One of my friends said "I hate potato salad, I don't like eating potatoes with mayo". Well, I took that as a challenge.

So here is my recipe for potato salad that makes the mayo go away.

Don't get me wrong you have to use mayo or it's not potato salad, but changing just a couple of steps, makes it look more like mashed or smashed potatoes that tastes like potato salad.

If I do say so myself, this came out great!

This recipe works well with Idaho or White potatoes.
Peel and cut 4 or 5 medium sized  potatoes into about 8 pieces each. 
Boil potatoes until they are fork tender, cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
Drain and allow to cool for 30 minutes.

Boil three eggs . After cooling, shred into small pieces.
Finely cut or chop: 1 - stalk of celery, 1/2 medium yellow onion.
Use 3 heaping tablespoons of your preferred real mayonnaise. I like Hellman's.
Add 1 large tablespoon of yellow mustard. I prefer French's.
Optional: Add 1 tablespoon of sweet relish. I like Mt. Olive.
In a container that can be covered, mix all of your ingredients together.
The more you mix the more like mashed or smashed potatoes it becomes.
A little black pepper, give it one more mix, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

As good as this tastes the first day, the next day will be even better!
ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment